Monday, August 24, 2009

Today Sucks

Today Sucks. That about sums it up. I'm sick, Boo is sick and can't sleep, Sweetie Pie is getting sick, I'm going to cry when I drop her off at kindergarten, I didn't plan anything for homeschool, I forgot to run the dishwasher last night, my laptop is out of commission, my home movie DVD's are taking days to burn and I HAVE to wear jeans today. Today sucks.

I've actually been dreading this day since I was pregnant with Sweetie Pie. I had her right before I turned 19, and I knew that I wasn't the 'average' age of a first time mother. I wondered what it would be like dropping my kindergartner off at the ripe old age of 24. Would the thirty-something super mommies be sneering at me? Would they think they were better parents just because I was younger?

I had good experiences with the preschool parents not judging me since my hair 'do' and attire suggested that I was just as aged and burnt out as they were, but there is something a lot more intimidating about any place that has a PTO.

I'd been meaning to get a new haircut anyway, but the short 'mom cut' that I got myself on Saturday really drives the 'I may be young but my mom haircut can drive my minivan safer than your mom haircut can' message home in case anyone wants to challenge me. Plus it's easier to brush when the occasion arises. You know, if I'm feeling fancy.

I'm running out the door to my new normal, but my mind is racing. Is she ready? Am I ready? Will she know the right bus stop? Will she know how to behave on the bus? Is it okay for me to eat the pudding I bought for her lunches if I'm really upset? It is going to be the most fun thing she's ever done and I'll feel dumb for being so worried? All I know for sure is... today sucks.

2 Thoughts From Others:

Anonymous said...

Today does suck but it'll be ok - eventually. I have no doubt your little sweetie pie will amaze you in countless ways.

I had to leave a comment to share a dirty little secret with you about those older moms - they haven't got a clue about this whole motherhood thing either (being one of them I speak from experience). Don't let the wrinkles, grey hair and bags under our eyes fool you - these badges aren't worn to signify the age and wisdom we have acquired - we're just tired (and often wishing we were doing this with our 24 year old body instead of a 38 year old jalopy).

tiffany said...

Anon said it well. At 37 with a 4,5 and 6 year old...believe me, I only wish I had my 24 year old self here helping me out most days!

Hope the day went well and your daughter remembered her bus stop and you enjoyed the pudding cup!

Related Posts with Thumbnails