Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Day 16- Helping Caitlin

Today I wanted to write about my little friend Caitlin Racenet. She is 3 years old and suffers from Tuberous Sclerosis Complex, a non-curable disease that causes tumors to grow in major body organs. Caitlin has several brain tumors that cause a severe, difficult to control seizure disorder. Stress & excitement cause over stimulation in Caitlin, which in turn cause more frequent seizures. A day of 6 seizures is considered a very good day for her. There have been days with 24-30 seizures. At this time, it is difficult for her to even go to the grocery store, let alone playdates and preschool.

Photobucket

Caitlin has been approved for a seizure assistance dog. This dog will hopefully allow Caitlin relief with her anxiety & over-stimulation, along with giving her family peace of mind in alarming them, & hopefully someday detecting, Caitlin's seizures. The dog should help calm Caitlin in stressful situations, easing the burden on her nervous system. The organization can be found at www.4pawsforability.org. The dog will be especially trained for Caitlin's seizure & sensory needs. You can read more about Caitlin on her Mom's blog HERE, or in our local newspaper HERE.

I met her mom last summer and had no idea what that woman goes through everyday. Recently I became aware of Caitlin's diagnosis and knew I had to do something to help. I volunteered to help with the fundraiser dinner and I'm making some fun felt food for the silent auction. As a mother with three healthy children I can't help but want to reach out to this family.

Each family has a fundraising requirement in order to be placed with a dog. Their requirement is $11,000. If it is within your heart to donate, all donations are tax-deductible. Anything you could donate to this family it would help so much, or even blogging to spread the word about this sweet, little girl. You can donate by scrolling to the bottom of the All For Caitlin blog and either clicking the Paypal link or mailing a check to the 4 Paws For Ability charity. Please keep this family in your thoughts and prayers, and thank you for reading her story!

4 Thoughts From Others:

Rebecca Owner/Crafter said...

You are so sweet Gillian. Thank you!

Amber Filkins said...

Wow, that poor little baby! That is so sad! I think that is awesome that you are donating time and helping to raise money for her. I pray she is able to get that dog soon!

Anonymous said...

I will be praying for her and her family. I hope all the fundraising goes off without a hitch.

Jeanette Lin said...

Hi Gillian, I think what you doing are for a very good cause. Per our conversation, please do let me know if there are any other patterns from my shop http://umecrafts.etsy.com that you are interested in for the auction & I'd be most glad to contribute them for this purpose.

Related Posts with Thumbnails